Library card and regulations
The university library is a public library, open for everyone. Borrowers undertake to follow the library rules and keep themselves up to date on any changes. Borrowers are personally responsible for their loans until the loans are deregistered.
Library card = West Card
When you are a university student you will get a West Card, this is also your library card. The card is a document of value and the patron is personally responsible for everything borrowed with the card until the card is cancelled.
Changes of address and the like, are made on My Account and will automatically be transferred to our library system.
- Normal loan period is 14 days.
- Loans are renewed by the patron.
- If no other patron is queuing for the book, you can re-borrow it up to 16 times.
- Reserved material must be collected within 3 days.
- If you are a student or staff member at University West, you can borrow our DVDs. The loan period for DVDs is 7 days.
When the loan period expires
- Three days before the loan period expires, you will receive a reminder to the email address linked to your library account.
- If you are a student, reminders, requirements and information are sent to your personal email.
- If your loan period has expired, you will receive a claim sent to your email address. A second claim is sent after 6 days.
- For material returned late, the library charges a fee according to the established list of fees.
- If you have not returned the material after a two-week delay, an invoice will be sent according to the list of fees.
- If you have paid your invoice and later find the lost material, the invoice will not be refunded. The material is now in your possession.
- Material reserved by another patron are required immediately after a 14-day period ends.
You cannot borrow material marked as reference literature or magazines nor take it out of the library. The library DVDs can only be borrowed by students and staff at University West.
If you are a student who is enrolled as a national distance student at University West, you have the option of ordering materials for loans that we will send to your home by post (within Sweden). Return postage is paid by you as the borrower.
Information about an individual's loans, orders and reservations is not disclosed in accordance with Chapter 40 Article 3 of the Swedish Information and Secrecy Act (SFS 2009:400).
All visitors can use the library electronic resources for information searching, but not for commercial use.
Remember to return your books before making your payment with Swish or paying by bank transfer.
You can pay with the app Swish to the number: 123 101 04 38. Enter what you are paying for in the message, for example "fine" or "article". Then take a screenshot* of your payment and send this and your social security number to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll monitor the Swish account and remove your fee and let you know when it's removed from your account. This takes place within 1-4 working days.
* If you can't take a screenshot (it doesn't work on all phones), enter the mobile number you paid with instead.
If you do not have Swish, you can pay the fee via banktransfer to bankgiro 5210-3439. Mark the payment with your Swedish social security number and what you are paying for "00000-0000, fine or article".
- Patrons who have unpaid fees that exceed a certain amount are suspended from loans and our services until the fee has been paid.
- Patrons who, despite repeated demands, do not return their loans are suspended from loans until all overdue loans are returned or replaced.
- Students who have been suspended from the school are suspended from the library for the same period.
Library card for the public
To get a library account, you must show identification.
If you are in possession of a loan card that gets lost, you must report this to the library immediately, so that the card can be cancelled.
You must be 16 years or older to be able to apply for a library card.
If you are a new arrival in Sweden and want to borrow books from us, contact us for more information.
Change of address as well as change of email address must be reported to the library. If you have provided an email, all messages from the library will be sent to your email only.
If you want to start your loan process immediately, you can fill out our Get a loan account form.
Long distance loans
Staff and students may borrow material that is not in the university library. Ordered articles is paid according to the list of fees. Books can be borrowed free of charge.
Would you like to borrow a computer?
All visitors are welcome to use the library computers and electronic resources, but not for commercial use. If you are not a student or employee at the university, you will need a guest account to be able to use the computers.
You need identification to get a guest account and it is valid for one day. You must be 16 years of age or older. You can also borrow a print card linked to the guest account which you can load with money to be able to print. Note! we do not refund deposits.
Power of authority for loans
If you cannot pick up your ordered book within the prescribed time, we offer the opportunity for another person to borrow it for you. Anyone who is to collect a loan on someone else's behalf must be able to present a valid ID document such as the patron's identification.
We handle personal data
On the occasions that you fill in a form with us (for example, to change your PIN code), we need your consent to process the information that you provide about yourself in the form. The information is needed to be able to connect your question / order to your patron account at the library. Your email will be deleted after the matter is completed. Read more about how University West processes your data and what rights you have at hv.se/en/gdpr.
Problem with logging in?
If you are having problems with logging in to the library service, try this:
Did you update your Swedish ID number? If you have received a new set of numbers and letters for the four last digits of your ID number, you have to update your information in MyAccount.
Forgot your PIN-code? You can renew your code if you are a student/employee at the university or if you are a member of the public.